Making it mine: From house to home


I was happy to take a much-needed hot bath this morning. Then I sat on the kitchen floor and ate a bowl of cereal with my husband looking out the French doors over our new back yard. The cats were bustling about, complaining about their captivity.

There is something about this part of the country that makes me feel at home. I don’t know if it is the rolling hills, farmhouses and barns, or the abundance of nature. Normally when I move I don’t have the sense that the area or town is my “home” for a while. I have to learn roads and meet people, get everything organized; but not this time. Maybe I am more adjusted or used to moving, but last night was the first time that I haven’t  woke up in the night and not known where I was. This has always happened to me in the past.

Of course Jared is with me and that makes a huge difference. When I moved to New Mexico I was by myself, and when we moved to Fort Worth he had to go back right after we got unpacked. But this time we get to do it all together and that makes me very happy. Now all I have to do is wait on the moving truck. The cable guy is already here checking our jacks and hooking us up but I think we have to wait on the router for a week or so. But we’ll see things are moving along.


Wow what a crazy wonderful day! We did get internet! So the gap I was expecting turned out to be non-existent. About fifteen minutes after the cable guy left the big truck arrived. From that point on the day is a blur. We got the kitchen, bedroom, living room and bathroom all unpacked. That leaves the two offices and general tidying for today.

Part of what makes the process interesting is that we have to figure out how this is all going to work in the new space. I was right to think that most of our large furniture was not going to work in this house. I’m so glad that we donated it before we moved. Still it was interesting watching them move the big futon to the second story.

Today (Wednesday) should be a little easier. The cats seem to be adjusting well. Yesterday once we got the bed together we let them out of the basement. I returned to the bedroom to find all three cats huddled on their island of “sameness” at lest they knew it was our bed.  Right now I am sitting on the second floor in my box filled office and all three of them are at my feet (well Ben is sitting on the desk top). They have taken to following us around. It’s kinda sweet.

Well I should get to work, got a lot to do today.


2 responses »

  1. Oh, yay! I’m so happy for you. It sounds like all is really going well and you’re settling in. I know you’re exhausted, but I also know you’ll be done with the big stuff fast (I know you) and on to the really making it feel like home. I’m glad it already does. Crickets make every place a little familiar- it seems they’re everywhere.

  2. Glad all is going well and the transition has been smooth…and company [especially a loved one] helps. But I do agree…there is something about the eastern mountains sthat calls to us…and the scenery is glrious. May you both be richly blessed in this new house and fid peace and contentment there.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s